Homemade Deodorant

Share with others:Share on Facebook444Pin on Pinterest87Email this to someone

Women typically shave their armpits and then minutes later apply chemicals directly on those open pores.

Ever wonder if this is the safest thing to do?

Our skin is the largest organ in our body and it absorbs anything we put on it. I know “they” say things are healthy for skin: anti-aging creams, lotions, bug sprays, sunscreen… but these all have chemicals that our bodies are absorbing.

Can that really be healthy?

If you question the body’s ability to absorb- test it out on yourself. Rub a cut clove of garlic on the bottom of your feet. Within 15 minutes, you will taste it!

We need to be very careful what we allow to be absorbed into our body!

So toss that brand name deodorant! Your skin deserves better!

There are a few healthier option, but I haven’t found them to work very well. Primal Pit Paste makes it very similar to this recipe, but with scents and I highly recommend it if you don’t want to make your own!

This homemade deodorant works excellently! Even for 3 teenage boys and my steel working husband!

Coconut oil is a wonderful: it is anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. I use expeller pressed coconut oil, because it has no smell, but if you enjoy the coconut smell, go for virgin coconut oil.
Baking soda is a great deodorizer and combats offensive smells.
Arrowroot makes it more “spreadable”. I avoid cornstarch, because GMO corn is so prevalent.

Combine this with homemade peppermint lip balm and you have a wonderful gift set!

Homemade Deodorant

Ingredients:
1/2 cup baking soda (find baking soda here)
1/2 cup arrowroot powder (Find arrowroot powder here)
2/3 cup coconut oil, melted (Find coconut oil here)
~
2 four-ounce containers put it in. I used these.

Directions:
Mix the baking soda and arrowroot powder with a fork. Pour in the melted coconut oil and stir until there are no clumps and all is incorporated.
Set in refrigerator for about an hour, until it has firmed up. (This prevents separation.)
Leave the container in the bathroom.

To apply:
Take out about 1/2 teaspoon (I use the back of my fingernail to “scoop” it), allow it to rest against your skin for a couple seconds (letting it warm) and then rub it into your armpit.

Remember:
Coconut oil melts at 76 degrees F. If you live in a warm climate you may need to store the deodorant in the refrigerator, or stir it before each use.

Want more great DIY recipes?

Click here for DIY Organic Beauty Recipes

By Heather Dessinger of Mommypotamus.com

Try out my homemade peppermint lip balm recipe here- You’ll never want store bought lip balm again, it’s so wonderful!
button (2)

Share with others:Share on Facebook444Pin on Pinterest87Email this to someone

Comments

1. Anonymous says

You can also form it into a cleaned out old deoderant container. That’s what I do and no need for getting your nails involved in the application process!

2. Crystal Laws says

I for one happen to LIKE her enthusiasm! It seems very cowardly of you to leave a comment “anonymously”…
    and BTW it’s her blog and you’re not her editor!

Q:How did your comment help in any way?? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A:it didn’t.

• K says

I use arrowroot powder (also called arrowroot flour) instead of the baking soda. I don’t react to the baking soda, but I like the arrowroot better.

3. Luann says

I’ve tried this a couple of times but after about a week I start getting a rash. Anyone else have this problem?

• says

My husband does that, but it took about 2 years before he started reacting. I cut the baking soda amount by half, and now there are no issues.

• Anonymous says

Rash here, too. I thought it might be the baking soda…under a microscope it’s very crystallized, versus the rounder qualities of corn starch. Thank you, Rachel!

4. says

make sens to me ! less you put chemical on your skin, further you will be healthy ,oh great you made my day ! thanks for sharing all your super recipes, please keep going , it s really great to share all those information, we need that. have nice day! Claire

5. Anonymous says

Can you substitute tapioca starch for the arrowroot powder? I am not sure if they are interchangeable, but my neighbor offered me some tapioca starch if I wanted it. Thanks!

• says

I’m have only used arrowroot and corn starch. Both of these have more of a anti-perspirant qualities. I’m not sure how tapioca would be in deodorant, but please let me know if you try it!

• says

I normally run out every 4-6 months. The only thing in it to “go bad” is the coconut oil, so just look at the expiration date on your coconut oil.

6. says

I love this recipe. I forgot to bring mine with me on a short trip, and found that chemical deodorants just can’t cut it for me. Won’t make that mistake again.

7. says

This sounds awesome, except that I’m super-allergic to coconut anything. Do you have any thoughts as to what could provide a reasonable alternative-ingredient?

Love your blog! :)

• says

I really don’t know, the benefit to the coconut oil is antibacterial and antifungal, I’m not sure what other oils have that ability.
      Palm oil gets fairly hard if you refrigerate it, but it has a unique smell.
      Please leave a comment if you find something that works, I know others would love to know!

8. says

I too have problems with my t-shirts staining. Since I don’t use detergent, but soap….I don’t seem to be able to get the grease/oil out of the sides of the shirts. So far, the only thing I have thought of is to put the deo on AFTER I am dressed, so the sides of the shirt don’t rub through the oil. Anybody else have hints? (I wash in cold water.)

9. says

Don’t mean to sound gross, but since eliminating all fast foods, packaged foods, sodas and sugar from my diet. I no longer have perspiration odor. But if worried about this then this sounds like a great idea. I will have to make some for my husband and daughter who still insist on using them.

10. Anonymous says

I have been using this deo. for about 8 months and have not had a problem with staining. I love it and will keep using it. I would not put essential oils in it unless you want a smell too it. I like my underarms “smell free”.

Trackbacks