2013 in 2013 Decluttering Challenge

Do you want to make a dent in the amount of possessions you have?

Are you ready to get rid of 2013 things this year?

Would you like to see less of this?

Come and join the challenge!!

Subscribe to the Nourishing Minimalism Mailing List and receive a free printable chart!

Each time you get rid of an item, put an “X” on a square (or black it out, depending on who’s helping check the boxes!!)

And more
of this?

The rules are your own: If you have a stack of magazines to get rid of, you may count it as one item, or you can count each magazine as an item. The point is just to get rid of it.

Keep the chart on the front of the refrigerator or a cupboard where you can watch your progress and keep motivated.

If you have children, get them involved! Let them mark the boxes. Use different colors for different family members so they can see how much they contributed!

Plan out a celebration after each hundred is reached.

Join the discussion on Facebook and tell us what you have been able to get rid of! Let’s be each other’s cheerleaders!

Don’t forget: Subscribe to Nourishing Minimalism newsletter to receive your free printable chart!!
Let me know in the comments that you are going to take the challenge! Tell your friends so they can join the challenge too!

This post is part of The Nourishing Gourmet’s Nourishing Resolutions Carnival.

Comments

1. says

I’m in! We’re moving in a few days so I think that right now is the perfect time to get a great start on this! We had a fire about a year ago and lost almost everything which, in all honesty, was sort of a mixed blessing. Perhaps God was reminding me once again what is really and truly important?? :- ) Anyway, I sure miss you and will make sure I keep you updated on our “2013 in 2013″ progress!! – Rebekah and family

• says

Thanks Rebekah! Glad you’ve joined me here! So sorry you had a fire! I have some friends here that had a fire too, and I know it was tramatic for them, but I honestly was a bit jealous- it would avoid all the sentamental garbage we deal with when trying to get rid of stuff. I hope you can weed out a bunch with your move!

2. says

Totally in. It was already a goal to purge my basement this year (on the heels of 5 moves in 2 years followed by a year standing still to recover). This is just going to ante up the game. I already have stuff in my living room packed and ready to go, so this is just in time! Reposted, too. ;)

3. Anonymous says

i signed up and cant figure out how to get the printable. I clicked on my email to confirm and it just brought me back to this site?? thanks.

4. Laura says

Perfect timing! We just moved from a 900 sq ft house to a 3000 sq ft house (we are a family of 6) and I mistakenly thought this alone would create a simple and decluttered home. But we had jammed SO MUCH STUFF into our little place! I want to enjoy our new space, not just cram it up with stuff again!

5. says

Any ideas for encouraging young children to de-clutter? My 4 year old and I both see things not just as things, but we see the person who gave us that item and when. I have slowly broken out of the hoarding/saving mentality I grew up with and don’t want her to grow up the same way.

So far, the only thing she seems ok with is giving her old clothes to her new baby cousin, so I guess that’s a start!

Ideas appreciated!

• Crystal says

Try this: Divide your youngersters toys into piles one pile might be soft toys another pile might be cars another pile dolls another books. When you do this you realise you have alot of the same things. Make a rule like your child may only choose two toys from each pile. This tells your child they have far too many of one thing. If they want to keep more make a date say in a months time to do this again so you know what they play with in that month will stay the rest will go. This way you find out what your child truly treasures without your influence let the child make final decision all they want is to be the one who descides what happens to their things.

6. Anonymous says

My family is going to do this!! It’s April already, but we have plenty of ways to catch up. Ha! Thank you so much. I’m excited I found your blog.

• says

Great! When you subscribe to my mailing list, you will get a confirmation email, you will need to “confirm”, then you will receive a welcome email with the link to get the 2013 in 2013 chart.

7. Anonymous says

Going through a divorce! Can I count getting rid of my soon-to-be-ex’s stuff? :)

Thanks for this-seriously. I have a ton of stuff. And I love it! I do! But there are ways I’d like to cut back and simplify — this is a nice “simple” way that I think will help!

8. says

This is awesome! Wish I’d started counting when we began selling / tossing / donating for our big move. I bet we’re over halfway there without realizing it!

9. Anonymous says

I’m in! I started late, too, thinking I’d just take 14 months and get rid of 2014 things in 2014. But I got rid of 118 things on the first day and now I wonder if I can seriously get close to 2013 by 2013! I have 7 kids and have been seriously stressed under all of my clutter and not knowing how to help with theirs. We all had fun marking off the boxes. Thank you!

10. Justine says

Thank you so much for this! My kids and I have one day to go and have decluttered 1978 items. I’m pretty sure we can make finish it off tomorrow and then start 2014 in 2014. I know staying decluttered is an ongoing process, but I am very hopeful that after 2014, we won’t have to focus on it so much. I feel so much lighter already!