(I did not include salt and pepper, as everyone, typically, has salt and pepper on hand.)
10 Spices for the Minimalist Kitchen
- Basil, use in meatballs, meatloaf, soups and tomato based dishes.
- Cayanne, excellent on meat, soups, sauces, chili and Mexican dishes
- Chili Powder, marinades, chili, Mexican dishes
- Cumin, definitely in chili, also used in marinades, and Mexican dishes.
- Garlic Powder, I use garlic in pretty much every savory dish I make!
- Onion Powder, use in every savory dish. (And if you are a ranch dressing fan, this makes homemade ranch taste like ranch.)
- Oregano, marinades, tomato based dishes, and a great addition to chili and taco seasoning.
- Smoked Paprika, could there be a better spice?! Use on roasts, steak, meatloaf, eggs, in marinades, oh, everything savory.
- Cinnamon (Saigon), a sweet spice, and wonderful in breakfast dishes and desserts, but also adds an interesting touch to stir-fries
- Ginger Powder, another sweet spice, great in desserts, but a must for stir-fry dishes and marinades.