We are surrounded by environmental pollutants; in the air we breath and in the water we drink and bathe in. There are simple steps we can take to minimize the toxins in our home of as much as possible.
Naturally and Effectively Purify Your Home with These 6 Simple Steps
1. Houseplants. Plants have long been known to remove toxins from the air. NASA even did a study and has a list of 10 plants that are most effective at removing formaldehyde, benzene, and carbon monoxide from the air. <source> Houseplants are also very cheery and finding new varieties is so much fun! I keep mine fairly simple: A christmas cactus (from my grandmother’s original plant), an aloe and some simple mums in my kitchen window.
2. Salt lamps. I am totally in love with my salt lamps. Salt lamps have a similar effect to ionizers, reducing all forms of air pollution and increasing negative ions in the indoor air. Negative ions greatly decrease environmentally induced health issues.
I was a little skeptical of the salt lamps at first, but the reviews on amazon were so compelling, I ended up getting one for the room that our 3 teenage boys share. I was so pleasantly surprised when walking into their room a few days later. There was no smell! We now have 3 8″-9″ salt lamps in our 1100 sq. ft home. It’s an old house and I used to smell an old musty smell when we would come home, but no more. The lovely smell of clean air is so welcoming! Click here to get your own Himalayan Salt Lamp.
3. Get rid of scented candles, cleaners and soaps. I’m talking about commercial products. Scented candles, when burned let off toxins in the air from the chemicals they use for scent and color. All the cleaning sprays, laundry detergents and softeners, “air fresheners”, and scented candles can have harmful ingredients. <source> The best way to minimize exposure to toxic chemicals is to avoid products with fragrance.
If you enjoy good smells, natural beeswax candles are similar to the salt lamps, neutralizing the air. Or invest in an essential oil diffuser and enjoy the health benefits of breathing in therapeutic grade essential oils. You can learn more about therapeutic grade essential oils by contacting me.
4. Bath Filter. With having little ones that take baths regularly, I wanted something to clean the bath water. I found these great bath filters and am so pleased with them. It’s easy to use and can just be left hanging on the tub faucet. Which means, the kids always remember to use it! They need to be replaced once every year and removes 99% of the chlorine from city water. Click here to get your own bath filter.
5. Shower Filter. This filter is fairly inexpensive, removed 99% of the chlorine from city water and is super easy to install. So easy, in fact, that I did it myself, without even needing tools! The filter needs to be replaced about every 6 months. Click here to get your own shower head filter.
6. Drinking water filter. We love the Big Berkey filter system. They are very effective, easy for the kids to reach and use. Since the water is sitting on the counter, it’s always room temperature, which is better for your digestion system. I really like the fact that we can take it with us when we travel. It can sit on the counter in a motel or on a picnic table when you’re out camping. Click here to get your own Berkey water filter.
What steps have you taken to purify your home? Leave a comment below and let us know!
Free Decluttering Chart!
Join over 33,203 subscribers and participate in the Yearly Decluttering Challenge: Declutter 2018 Items in 2018!