Today’s post comes from Libby at eatplaylovemore.com
Have you ever paid attention to the deli counter at your local supermarket? I usually just zip past it without giving it much thought but the other day I curiously stopped and just stared. I was in awe of the rows and rows and rows of preserved meats! My eyes happened to settle on the teensy area marked ‘Natural Selections’. WHAT? I wanted to jump for joy a little! Could there actually be an option for those of us who want quality, ethically raised meats without all the additives and nitrates? The teacher or maybe it is the mom in me, needed answers….so I asked.
To make a long story short, it appears that mainstream producers have decided to disguise their conventional meat as ‘natural’ by exchanging offensive words such as ‘nitrates’, for something seemingly more benign like ‘celery extract’ while also adding icky fillers like carrageenan. Run, don’t walk and make your own. Making your own turkey breast deli meat is easy and so cost effective, plus you get to control the ingredients! I’ll show you how.
In April I blogged about DIY Roast Beef Deli Meat and by popular request I have put together the moistest, easiest recipe for Turkey Breast Deli Meat
DIY Turkey Breast Deli Meat
Large turkey breast roast (boneless)
Rosemary and thyme (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200° F and set oven rack to center. Prepare a cookie sheet by lining it with aluminum foil (you could use parchment paper here but because the meat isn’t actually going to touch the foil I prefer aluminum for easier clean up), then placing a rack on top of it.
2. Give your roast a rinse and pat dry.
3. Drizzle with olive oil and generously sprinkle with sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. Press in the herbs.
4. Put meat thermometer in centre of roast and place roast on rack.
5. Place in oven and cook until internal temperature reaches 165° F.
6. Allow to cool and slice. You can use a sharp knife or a deli meat slicer for more even slices, either way it’s delicious, moist and additive free. Enjoy!
Libby is an educator turned stay at home mom turned foodie and advocate. Libby blogs at eatplaylovemore.com where she loves to create easy DIYs that nourish the body (with a special focus on traditional eating, Paleo, Gluten Free and Auto Immune Protocol) while also giving focus to nourishing the mind through play, awareness and more! Join her on this life long learning adventure.
Free Decluttering Chart!
Join over 33,203 subscribers and participate in the Yearly Decluttering Challenge: Declutter 2018 Items in 2018!