Peppermint Lip Balm

Share with others:Share on Facebook363Pin on Pinterest620Email this to someone

Did you know you can make your own lip balm? It’s super easy and you will love the way your lips feel with it on!!

I have been making my own lip balm now for several years. I love it so much, there is just no going back!

There is no nasty peeling skin, which is awesome!!

Amazingly simple and make excellent Christmas gifts as well!

Peppermint Lip Balm

Ingredients:
1/2 cup coconut oil (Click here to buy coconut oil)
1 ounce beeswax (Click here to buy beeswax)
3-5 drops Vitamin E oil (Click here to buy Vitamin E oil) (or squeeze out 1-2 capsules)
3-5 drops Peppermint essential oil  (Click here to buy Peppermint essential oil)
35 lip balm containers (Click here to buy lip balm containers)

Directions:
Melt coconut oil and beeswax over med heat (or in microwave) and then add Vitamin E oil and Peppermint oil.
Mix thoroughly and immediately pour into containers. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes and it’s ready to use!
This recipe makes approximately 32 lip balms in a 0.15 ounce containers.

Please note: It’s always a wise to use therapeutic grade essential oils, especially when it comes into contact with your skin. I recommend and endorse doTERRA oils for their incredible quality, which you can read about HERE.

Want more great DIY recipes?

Click here for DIY Organic Beauty Recipes

50+ All-Natural, Toxin-Free Recipes That Really Work!

By Heather Dessinger of Mommypotamus.com

Also check out my recipe for Homemade Deoderant- It’s awesome too!

button (2)

Share with others:Share on Facebook363Pin on Pinterest620Email this to someone

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Hey, great idea! Gotta try that! But what unit did you give the coconut oil in? Cups? And how many grams or mililitres is that? I’d rhank you for an answer ^^

• says

The coconut oil is measured in cups (sorry- I just edited it to show) and google.com says that 1/2 cup equals 113.4 grams. Thanks for coming by!

• AmyCO says

Well. I screwed that up good. Mine are like crayons. Lol
        Any suggestions? Can I melt them back down and add more coconut oil?

• RachelRachel says

Yes, you can melt them down and add more coconut oil!

To test it, once it’s melted, dip a spoon into the mixture, blow on the spoon or let it sit on the counter a few minutes to cool, once it’s hard test the consistency.

2. says

FOr the 1/2 c coconut oil, is that 1/2 c packed solid or 1/2 c melted? I tried a batch last night with the 1/2 c measured after melting, and the balm seems a little too oily. Also, the peppermint smell is not sstrong enough for me, so I will probably adjust that. I also added some Aloe concentrate. If you could advise on the coconut oil measurement, that would be great! Thanks!

• says

That is 1/2 cup packed, not melted. It could also depend on the temperature of your region- we’re in Montana, so most of the time the lip balm is a perfect consistency, but during the hottest summer months it seems too oily. (And don’t carry it in your pocket, then it definitely seems too oily)I have added more peppermint, but it burns people with sensitive skin, so I kept it a lower amount in the recipe. It also can depend on the brand of essential oil, some are stronger than others. If you wish, you can remelt it and add some shavings of beeswax. When I was experimenting, if I added too much wax it wouldn’t spread at all, so melt it, add extra wax, test a few drops on wax paper so they cool quickly and you can tell if the consistency is good for you.

• says

Coconut is not a nut, if you are allergic to tree nuts, coconut is fine. If you are actually allergic to coconut, then I’m not sure, because palm oil would probably work good, but it’s in the same family as coconut.

• Anonymous says

Actually the U.S. FDA declared that coconut was a tree nut in 2006. My allergist (MD & went to Harvard) said that I had to avoid coconut since I am allergic to walnuts & peanuts. If you have a tree nut allergy, avoid coconut until you get clearance from your allergist!!

3. Anonymous says

Please make sure you you only use aromatherapy grade oils that can be safely applied to the body. Many oils out there are made using unsafe methods that can introduce toxins.

• Anonymous says

Well. . .Vaseline is pretty much like motor oil and Kool-Aid has dye in it, which is also petroleum based. Sounds super cute if you aren’t into the natural stuff though. :)

4. Anonymous says

Can’t wait to try this! Have you tried putting the balm in small aluminum tins rather than the plastic tubes? I think that could add a nice “homemade” touch. Just want to be sure the consistency would work and could be applied using your finger…

5. Anonymous says

Love this , I cut the ingredients in 1/2 and added 1 drop of lavender oil, came out great, no more store bought ever!!!!!!! Thanks

6. Anonymous says

I need a lip balm with spf. Besides coconut oil having some spf in it, would adding a little bit of zinc oxide to it affect the outcome of the product?

7. Anonymous says

Since Christmas is in t-minus 4 days and I’ll be spending the majority of that occupied by family gatherings, I’m going to make this with flavour extracts. Has anyone tried this, before I get into it?

I have a bunch of banana, brandy and vanilla extract that would be awesome with the coconut oil (separate batches!), it’s not super healthy but I don’t have time to go find the right essential oils…

• says

The first batch I made I used an extract and it worked well. It’s been a while, but I think I had to use more extract then the amount of essential oil I put in the recipe. Simply because the extract isn’t as strong as essential oil.

Those flavors sound lovely!

8. says

A few other essential oils to consider would be: Lavender, used for healing, skin care, soothes and calms. Melaleuca (tea tree) kills bacteria & viruses on contact, excellent for cuts and wounds, antiseptic for skin problems. Wild orange is antibacterial, antifungal, energizes, recommended for early stages of cold or flu. I’m going to try a combination of lavender and melaleuca myself. Doterra essential oils are 100% certified pure therapeutic grade and can safely be ingested, used topically or aromatically. They can be purchased here http://www.mydoterra.com/236720/ . Another tip would be to pour the mixture into lip balm pots or tins.

9. Anonymous says

Was just wondering if you knew how long the lip balms keep? I would assume a long while due to the ingredients used…

• says

I think it keeps well 6-8 months. I had some sitting after that and it becan to seperate, still was nice on my lips, but didn’t keep them moisturized as long.

10. Anonymous says

Use a syringe to fill the tube and keep a heating pad close to keep the syringe in liquid state. A recipe is a template, mix n match your ingredients , play with it.

11. Anonymous says

My girls are allergic to tree nuts ie: coconuts. Do you have to use it? Is there something I can substitute?

12. Marcy says

Hi! How long does the lip balm stay good for? I was considering making it for a baby shower that is in 2 months. Thank you!

• Rachel JonesRachel Jones says

I make it once a year and use it within that time. I think it’s at it’s best within the first 6-8 months though.

13. Paula says

Thanks for the recipe! I’m definitely making some up soon. I forgot to look for vitamin e when I was out shopping though. One suggestion, someone talked about using Shea butter. I discovered I am allergic to that. It’s related to rubber & latex. I was surprised! Sadly I had to throw out most of a batch of body butter due to severe itching. Next batch without the Shea butter was just fine.

Trackbacks