Declutter 2022 in 2022
We’ve been doing a yearly decluttering challenge since 2008 and it has made such a HUGE difference.
I am motivated by checking off boxes and knowing how much progress I’m making, so in 2012 when I started blogging, I invited others to join this yearly challenge with me.
Over the years over 42,000 people have downloaded the chart and many participate in my Facebook group as well.
If you enjoy checking things off and keeping track, then definitely check this out! 😊
Are you up for a challenge?
Join me in simplifying our homes and getting rid of 2022 items in 2022!
Please remember these “rules” are just basic guidelines, you can adjust and create specifications for yourself and your family.
- Each time you get rid of an item, put an “X” on a square (or a ✔️or black it out)
- If you have a stack of magazines to get rid of, you may count the full stack as one item, or you can count each magazine seperately. You may even guess the number! The point is just to get rid of it and have a way to visually track your progress.
- Trash: do count trash if it was something that was sitting in the house as clutter, but do not count normal every day trash like junk mail or snack boxes that are normally thrown out.
- Keep the chart on the front of the refrigerator or a cupboard where you can watch how much headway you’ve made.
- If you have children, get them involved! Let them mark the boxes.
- Incorporate colors: use a different color for each month you declutter, or each room you work, or a different color for each family member as they participate.
- Plan out a celebration after each 500 or 1000 items are removed.
- Join the community on Facebook for motivation and encouragement
Thank you soooo much Rachel. Just started posting on your site. God Bless from your Canadian neighbour.
Hi Rachel, I’m impressed with your take on de cluttering, very practical and down to earth. I’m just a beginner in this path, your advice is good motivation to continuously keep riding of unused stuff. I’ve just downloaded your “Yearly Decluttering Challenge” and I’m looking forward to see the progress in the chart you sent to my email.
Thank you, from Ohio