Are you up for a challenge? Let’s declutter 2,023 things in 2023!
It all started in 2008. Someone suggested we declutter 2008 things that year. It was so motivating to me to have a number goal in mind; my husband Brian (a graphic designer) created a tally chart to keep track of how much I was getting rid of.
And now, every year, he makes a chart that I can share with my community:
Please keep in mind that these are basic guidelines. There is no perfect, no cheating, and no doing it wrong.
This chart is simply a tool to help you stay motivated and consistently declutter to the extent YOU want to.
- For each item you declutter, check one box ❌ ✅
- Count items you wouldn’t usually get rid of (don’t count everyday trash)
- Count every single thing OR estimate a number.
- Give yourself more credit for things that were difficult to get rid of.
- Use colors (if you want) to represent different rooms of the house, the months you work, or the different people working on decluttering with you.
- Get kids involved – they love counting and marking off the boxes.
- Give yourself a reward when you reach large amounts: plan something fun to do after you get rid of 500 things, 1000 things, and 2023 things.
Staying motivated is often the most challenging part of decluttering. Along with the decluttering chart, I also have a free online community that is the most amazing supportive decluttering community a person could ask for. Click here to join. (You will need to answer the questions to join.)